LA Opera Keeps Details of Placido Domingo Inquiry to Itself

The Los Angeles Opera declined Friday to release any details of its promised investigation into allegations of sexual harassment against opera legend Placido Domingo, the company’s longtime general director, including whether it has begun.Also Friday, the union that represents opera singers said it plans a meeting in Los Angeles next week to address its members’ concerns ahead of the LA company’s season opener Sept. 14.Len Egert, the executive director of the American Guild of Musical Artists, told The Associated Press that the union has been receiving its own reports from members since an AP story earlier this week detailing accusations against the 78-year-old singing star.Hours after the AP story was released Tuesday detailing the allegations, the LA Opera announced it would engage outside counsel to investigate the “concerning allegations.”An open secretThree of the nine women who accused the singer of harassment and abuse of power described encounters they said took place while working with Domingo at the LA organization. The nine women and dozens of others interviewed said Domingo’s behavior was an open secret in the industry and that he pursued younger women with impunity.LA Opera would not disclose who would be conducting the investigation, how it would be carried out, when it would start or its expected duration.A spokeswoman for the company said Friday LA Opera will share details when they have information and that there was currently nothing to add beyond the statement released Tuesday.LA Opera Domingo is widely credited with raising the profile of LA Opera, where he served as an artistic consultant from 1984 to 2000, artistic director from 2000 to 2003 and, finally, general director from 2003 until now. His current contract runs through the 2021-22 season.In its initial statement, LA Opera said Domingo “has been a dynamic creative force in the life of LA Opera” but that it is committed to ensuring that its employees and artists “be treated respectfully and feel safe and secure.”Domingo did not respond to detailed questions from the AP about specific incidents. But he issued a statement calling the allegations “deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate,” adding “I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual.”Global discussionThe allegations in the AP story sparked a global discussion among opera singers on social media forums about the culture of sexual misconduct in the classical music world and the belief that opera companies have long been aware of bad behavior and tolerated it, particularly when the accused are people in positions of power.Aside from LA Opera, the other women quoted in the story recounted incidents they said took place at other venues, including Washington Opera and the Metropolitan Opera in New York, ranging from 1988 into the mid-2000s.Some of the women told the AP that Domingo used his power at the LA company and elsewhere to try to pressure them into sexual relationships, with several saying that he dangled jobs and then sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances.Some performances canceled The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star. The Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera’s investigation “before making any final decisions about Mr. Domingo’s future at the Met,” where he is scheduled to appear next month.The American Guild of Musical Artists issued a statement calling for wider investigations across the opera world.“AGMA became aware of serious allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women against Placido Domingo. We have contacted our employers to demand investigations into these allegations,” said the statement issued earlier this week.Since then, “through our confidential reporting system we have been receiving reports from members,” Egert said Friday. “We are providing timely, confidential advice and guidance to these artists.” He did not elaborate.Egert said that AGMA will be “closely monitoring the internal LA Opera investigation” and has scheduled a membership meeting in Los Angeles early next week, before the start of rehearsals, to address any member concerns on questions. The LA Opera 2019-2020 season starts Sept. 14 with “La Boheme.”Asked if the union was aware of Domingo’s alleged behavior previously, he said, “AGMA did not receive complaints from its members prior to the recent news reports.”

Євро здешевшав на 39 копійок – НБУ

Євро здешевшав на 39 копійок, свідчать дані на сайті Національного банку України.

19 серпня його офіційна вартість становитиме 27 гривень 84 копійки.

Вартість долара знизиться з 25 гривень 32 копійок до 25 гривень 14 копійок.

На 1 серпня НБУ встановив найвищий за останні три з половиною роки курс гривні до долара – 25,02 за одиницю американської валюти.

Суд заарештував Гримчака з правом застави у 6 млн гривень

Деснянський районний суд Чернігова заарештував заступника міністра з питань тимчасово окупованих територій Юрія Гримчака на два місяці з правом 6 мільйонів гривень застави.

Прокуратура просила призначити Гримчаку 12,5 мільйонів застави.

Сам Гримчак запевняв, що не збирається нікуди тікати і готовий захищати себе всіма законними способами.

ісля того, як суддя завершила зачитувати ухвалу, адвокат Гримчака Тетяна Матяш зауважила, що в ухвалі підозрюваного називають Михайлович, хоча він Миколайович. У зв’язку з цим юристка вимагала, щоб заступника міністра випустили з-під варти, бо в ухвалі йдеться про іншу людину.

Суддя назвала це технічною помилкою та пообіцяла її виправити.

Юрія Гримчака і його «довірену особу» затримали 14 серпня ввечері у справі про вимагання 1,1 мільйона доларів хабарів за нібито сприяння в ухвалені рішень особами, уповноваженими на виконання функцій держави. Затримані наразі перебувають в ІТТ. Перед затриманням вдома у заступника міністра пройшов обшук. Їм інкримінують злочин, передбачений статтею 190 Кримінального кодексу України (шахрайство).

15 серпня Юрію Гримчаку та Ігорю Овдієнку оголосили підозру. За версією слідства, «бралися кошти на погодження проєктів будівництва та реконструкції будівель та споруд» і «вирішення цивільного позову у Верховному суді».

Гримчак працює на посаді заступника голови МінТОТ з березня 2017 року. За даними МінТОТ, затримання не пов’язане з виконанням Гримчаком посадових обов’язків заступника міністра.​ У відомстві наголосили, що в них немає посади «помічник заступника міністра», і другий затриманий – двоюрідний брат дружини Гримчака – не має стосунку до міністерства.

‘Easy Rider’ Star Peter Fonda Dies at 79 

LOS ANGELES – Peter Fonda, the son of a Hollywood legend who became a movie star in his own right, both writing and starring in counterculture classics like Easy Rider, died Friday at his Los Angeles home, his family said. He was 79. The official cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer. Henry Fonda’s only son carved his own path with his nonconformist tendencies and earned an Oscar nomination for co-writing Easy Rider. He never won an Oscar but was nominated for best actor in Ulee’s Gold. The family said this was one of the saddest moments of their lives and asked for privacy. 

ЦВК назвала переможця виборів в останньому окрузі

Центральна виборча комісія України встановила результати дострокових парламентських виборів в останньому з одномандатних округів.

В окрузі №210 у Чернігівській області переміг самовисуванець Борис Приходько, який набрав 21,15%. За його опонента Сергія Коровченка проголосували 21,11% виборців.

16 серпня Центральна виборча комісія достроково припинила повноваження окружної виборчої комісії і взяла на себе повноваження зі встановлення голосів.

6 серпня комісія округу номер 210 після повторного підрахунку голосів виборців на 33 виборчих дільницях назвала переможцем Сергія Коровченка.

Дострокові вибори до парламенту України відбулися 21 липня. За їхніми підсумками пропрезидентська партія «Слуга народу» здобула 254 місця в парламенті.

«Опозиційна платформа – За життя» отримала 43 крісла, «Батьківщина» – 26, «ЄС» – 25, «Голос» – 20, інші партії – 10. Ще 46 депутатських мандатів здобули самовисуванці.

Перше засідання Верховної Ради дев’ятого скликання відбудеться 29 серпня.

Суд у Москві засудив колишнього українського мільярдера до 9 років колонії

Его обязали вернуть 198 миллиардов рублей

Росія: суд залишив під вартою ще п’ятьох українських моряків

У Росії апеляційна інстанція Московського міського суду залишила під вартою ще п’ятьох українських моряків, повідомив адвокат Микола Полозов у Facebook.

За його словами, мова йде про Володимира Терещенка, Андрія Шевченка, Романа Мокряка, Андрія Оприска та Сергія Цибізова.

Раніше 16 серпня суд відмовився виконати наказ Міжнародного трибуналу ООН з морського права про негайне звільнення інших шістьох моряків – Михайла Власюка, Сергія Попова, Андрія Драча, Богдана Головаша, Дениса Гриценка та В’ячеслава Зінченка.

У червні суд у Москві продовжив арешт всім 24 захопленим українським морякам.

Міністр закордонних справ України Павло Клімкін закликав країни «Групи двадцяти» (G20) застосувати всі можливі важелі для впливу на Росію для звільнення захоплених українських моряків у зв’язку з невиконанням Кремлем рішення Міжнародного трибуналу ООН з морського права.

Трибунал 25 травня зобов’язав Росію негайно звільнити українських моряків і військові кораблі і повернути їх під контроль України.

У Міністерстві закордонних справ Росії заявили, що у трибуналу ООН немає юрисдикції розглядати справу про захоплення українських моряків.

Latino Actors, Writers Pen ‘Letter of Solidarity’ Amid Fears

Actresses America Ferrera and Eva Longoria are leading a group of more than 150 writers, artists and leaders who have written a public “letter of solidarity” to U.S. Latinos after the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, and an immigration raid in Mississippi. 
 
The letter, published Friday in The New York Times and in a handful of Spanish-language newspapers, says the signers stand with U.S. Latinos who may feel “terrified, heartbroken and defeated by the barrage of attacks,” citing the shooting in El Paso, which targeted Hispanics, and another shooting in Gilroy, California. The two attacks killed nearly two dozen Latinos. 
 
A huge immigration raid of Mississippi poultry plants this month that rounded up 680 mostly Latino workers, leaving behind crying children searching for their detained parents, also has unnerved some Hispanics.”We have been smeared by political rhetoric and murdered in violent hate crimes. We have been separated from our families and have watched our children caged,” the letter said. “But, we will not be broken. We will not be silenced.”‘Indignities and cruelty’The letter says such “indignities and cruelty” won’t diminish the contributions Latinos have made to the U.S., and it urged Hispanics to keep standing up to bigotry.FILE – Actress Eva Longoria, right, is interviewed by Mariana Atencio of Univision on the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., Sept. 6, 2012.Signing the letter were some of the most important Latino figures in entertainment, art, literature and activism, including novelist Sandra Cisneros, Academy Award-winning actress Rita Moreno, civil rights leader Dolores Huerta, singer-actress Jennifer Lopez and Tony Award-winning composer Lin-Manuel Miranda.The violence has some Hispanics looking over their shoulders, avoiding speaking Spanish in public, and seeking out escape routes amid fears they could be next. 
 
The shootings and the raid come against a backdrop of racist episodes that include then-candidate Donald Trump referring to Mexican immigrants as “rapists”; Trump, as president, referring to migrants coming to the U.S. as “an invasion”; and viral videos of white people chastising Hispanics for speaking Spanish in public.Longoria told The Associated Press that she and Ferrera got the idea for the letter after they talked and found out they were both depressed and sad after the El Paso shooting.”Once we started talking to other people, we found out others were feeling the same way,” Longoria said. “Instead of us all suffering alone we wanted to unite and tell our community that is going through all of this … we are with you and we will fight for you.”‘Soul-crushing’Longoria said the letter is not meant to take political sides but to reach out to Americans regardless of party to say Latinos are hurting.Ferrera told the AP that Latinos have been subjected to a number of racist attacks recently, but the El Paso shooting and the Mississippi raid were “just soul-crushing” for some. 
 
“We wanted to do something to let people know we aren’t growing to lie down and take it,” Ferrera said. “We are going to stand up and fight.” 
 
Monica Ramirez, a civil rights lawyer and activist who helped organize the letter, called it a “letter of love” and hopes it changes some hearts. 
 
“We also wanted to make sure that people understand that our community is powerful and we have many allies,” Ramirez said. “We don’t want other groups to be targeted.”

про уродов и людей